- No products in the cart.
Back to School Planning for the Child with Selective Mutism
Presenter: Dr. Elisa Shipon Blum
Time: August 17th at 3:00 pm EST
Full Title: Back to School Planning for the Child with Selective Mutism
Presenter: Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum
Date: Live on August 17th (3:00 pm EST)!
ASHA CEU Included: Yes ($5) or No
- List the two areas where school anxiety is most exaggerated and give examples.
- List the ways to help a child with SM build social comfort away from the group.
- Explain why the “team approach” is important to treatment in the school setting.
- Describe the information parents should ask from the school in order to prepare their child for the upcoming year.
- Explain the active role parents must take in their child’s play dates, and give examples of preplanned play date activities.
- Describe how to work on possible issues eating, using the bathroom in school, and riding the bus prior to school/early in the school year.
- Explain the purpose of the Back to School SM Interview Questions™ and how a child with SM should prepare for, and complete, the activity with his/her teacher.
- Explain the ways a child can ask and answer interview questions based on his/her “stage” of SM.
- Explain why staff facilitation and implementation of strategies is needed for success.
- Explain why “Keep It Going™” Questions are needed even after the child completes the Back to School SM Interview Questions™ with his/her teacher.
- Identify the types of activities that can be used as “Keep It Going™” Questions.
- Understand the importance of comfort precedes communication and progress does not occur in a group.
- Explain four key ways to build comfort and progress across the Social Communication Bridge®